Corona virus

Talk about almost anything you want
pointsnorth
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 40 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Corona virus

Post by pointsnorth »

Figured we could use a Corona virus thread. Who has actually been affected by the lock down or just post up anything you have seen go on by any of your local crazies lol

so post up all you non essentials :flipoff:

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 140 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Re: Corona virus

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

The only effect it really has on me is Amazon delivery dates have gone completely haywire, and Canadian Tire's website is overloaded all the time.

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Post by pointsnorth »

yeah shipping as a whole has really tanked for me. seems like everyone has dropped the ball

Sterlingfire
Web Wheeler

Post by Sterlingfire »

It's certainly affecting me... with our governor mandating lockdown for even longer without having any data on whether a lockdown works or not... and the latest science has said it doesn't make a difference. Sweden is the test pig and they're doing better then MI without lockdowns... good way to tank small business(which i am) and generally sell us out for a bid at vice presidency.... politicians suck

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Post by pointsnorth »

yeah here automotive repair facilities have been listed an essential service so Ive stayed open. I know some of the larger shops and dealerships have dropped their mechanics down to three days a week on two shifts which I think is bs as most are still only giving them 8 hrs a day.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

pointsnorth wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:53 am yeah shipping as a whole has really tanked for me. seems like everyone has dropped the ball
To some extent I understand it. There's some delays in getting products from manufacturers, and massive demand increase at some of the retailers is making things hard for them. But some of it seems to be that some vendors are just using it as an excuse to be half-assed and then expect you to "understand" because it's a pandemic.

My brother works for a certain big online retailer and has been there a long time. So he's actually fairly involved in development and tweaking of a lot of the parts of their software. They've had consistent record setting days for sales because of this, with some items being at 10000% of normal demand. :laughing: Other stuff has had demand go down the toilet (travel luggage apparently is their worst performing category right now, which makes sense :lmao: ), but most products are actually at fairly normal demand levels and they have stock, yet they're not putting any priority on shipping them. :rasta: At least it's not like in India where they were given a very short list of "essential" products that they're now allowed to sell, and legally they can't sell anything else. Apparently customer complaints in India nearly crashed their entire system, as they had never considered that nearly the entire country would complain at the same time. :lmao:

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

I don't fully know how we're going to handle this summer. I think some people here know I fix helicopters for a living. Most of our summer work falls into two categories, mining exploration/development support and servicing, and wildfire suppression/whatever else the forest service decides to do. Mining is essential, but that said there is some questions about if they will allow remote camps to operate or not, so far it looks like they will, but I easily could see that being shut down. The wildfire work is essential, and BC and Alberta have already made it clear they intend to be heavy handed on initial response in the hope of avoiding large fires and the evacuations or air quality issues associated with them. Oddly this might mean they actually spend LESS money fighting fires, since this is actually a more logical approach. That said, we don't know how easy it is going to be to find accommodation, meals, and other service support for this. BC heavily relies on remote resorts for accommodation, and even a lot of the regular hotels in out of way places are closed or closing due to the lack of people traveling.

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Post by pointsnorth »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:00 pm
pointsnorth wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:53 am yeah shipping as a whole has really tanked for me. seems like everyone has dropped the ball
To some extent I understand it. There's some delays in getting products from manufacturers, and massive demand increase at some of the retailers is making things hard for them. But some of it seems to be that some vendors are just using it as an excuse to be half-assed and then expect you to "understand" because it's a pandemic.
Thats it exactly!!! They blame it all on the the current situation when it was their lazy ass that didnt bother putting my order thru. and I can actually check my order status. which is why im at their store front asking them why have they not placed my order yet. so don't straight face tell me the warehouse didnt ship when I know your store shows stock.

HillBilt
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 13 times
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by HillBilt »

Fortunantly we've been full steam ahead and been netting some of our best production weeks this year :smokin: This is mostly due to some of our dickheads playing the system and staying home cause they have the NOvid and the boys are here getting shit done. It actually really bothers me that some of our employees are being total bitches in these times, when theres people in our area and around the world that cant work and need to, and these clowns are choosing to stay home, boils my blood.
Building Junk-Wheeling Junk-Breaking Junk

Mr.gutsy
Forum Addict
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Mr.gutsy »

We are painfully slow at kw theres talk of major layoffs just getting into breakup and with the rona ontop of that things are bleak. I have lots of senority but even so its likely i will be riding the ei train soon. Its welcomed for me, that place gets pretty toxic and i can finish stuff at home and my expenses are manageable with ei. As long as its only a couple months and not into next year... but logging is an "ethential thervice" so who knows how busy we will be in summer. With my job im not real big on crawling in and out of 6 different trucks everyday. The front counter ppl get plexiglass and other things and then ask us to just hop in everytruck that comes in.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Mr.gutsy wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:36 pmWith my job im not real big on crawling in and out of 6 different trucks everyday. The front counter ppl get plexiglass and other things and then ask us to just hop in everytruck that comes in.
For some of those trucks a guy should have a full positive pressure biohazard suit on, and that was before all of this. :laughing:

Provience
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Provience »

rabble rabble.

i wanna go play in nature :(
Up is difficult, down is dangerous

HMF
Forum Addict
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 9 times

Post by HMF »

We are slowing down at work but they are still running 2 shifts here so time will tell how long they can sustain keeping the guys that made the cut after the first round of layoffs when over 60% of the work being done on the floor is stock product...

That said from what I'm gathering from around here there might be more layoffs and then work share if it comes down to it. Would I like 2 weeks off yo work on my own junk hell yea but I would also like to keep working as have to pay for stuff so I'll take what comes.

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 71 times
Been Liked: 60 times

Post by Scoobienorth »

For me this kinda hit at a bad time as I’m starting a career change. I finished school last July and got my paperwork mostly in order now and have been trying to find work, I’ve got one casual position on the go and just hired into a second casual job. But because of the virus I cannot work both and need to pick one. The one that will give me more hours and enough to pay my bills is a lot higher risk and having high risk people in my house is making it a tough decision. This seems to be shaping up for a long haul.

Johnny5
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 13 times
Been Liked: 6 times

Post by Johnny5 »

I just wish i was a piece of shit on disability that now makes more money a month than before covid.
Instead ill prob pay 40 percent taxes on my cheques and house tax will double. Also ill be paying for this till i die and likely my daughters will be paying for it.
Maybe i dont know the right people but it seams like everyones job is essential unless ur a barber or ticket taker at the theater