.22LR AR-15 based blem cheapass pistol

Talk about almost anything you want
Provience
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 2 times

Re: .22LR AR-15 based blem cheapass pistol

Post by Provience »

it's all chit-chat, there is no such thing as a derail for any thread i've ever started :cheers:

i use this as a place to share pictures with people at work and such.
Up is difficult, down is dangerous

Provience
Actually Wheels

Post by Provience »

well, i finally did something halfway productive :laughing:

used some hex stock aluminium to make a charging handle, had to step it down a few time, cut an ovalish shoulder so that it kind of stays put, put 8-32 threads on the end, left the full size about 2 fingers long
IMG_3144.JPG
and made a little grabber thingy. took several test fits and small cuts to get it to fit properly
IMG_3143.JPG
3/16" hole and 3/16" slot, if i ever do this again, i'll go with 1/4" slot to make life easier. my drill ended up walking a bit, so instead of starting over, i just went to a 0.201" hole, so it fits a little loose, but functions
IMG_3145.JPG
rear view, it'd be nice to make these out of brass next time now that i know it works
IMG_3142.JPG
side view, ready to go shoot some cans :smokin:
IMG_3141.JPG

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 40 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Post by pointsnorth »

That’s the perfect crow killing pistol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Provience
Actually Wheels

Post by Provience »

i hope that it is half as entertaining to shoot as it is to play with :laughing: i need to come up with some way to half-way store it in the van. this might just be a better truck gun than my highpoint :rasta:

Provience
Actually Wheels

Post by Provience »

​the only 2 issues i had, i'm going to blame on the ammunition (both incidents were with the winchester super x). I had 1 failure to fire, but it was pretty obvious where the edge of the case had been crimped, so stuffed it back in and lit it off a second time and it went bang.

The second "issue" came with the last round of the magazine. it fired off, but almost as if it weren't fully in battery felt like i got hit in the face with some powder or debris and it was smoking out the rear of the receiver instead of just out of the barrel as is typical. These magazines do hold open on the last round, but this was the only time that it seemed like the thing did the stuff without being fully contained.

pulled it apart right after and nothing looked out of whack. it's probably the first time i've ever been glad to be wearing safety glasses while firing guess i'll make a little plug eventually for where the standard charging handle comes from.

Overall, super happy with it. Turns out the easiest thing is to charge it overhand, anchoring my thumb on the brass deflector, index finger on the right side, middle finger on the left side. very comfortable and natural, easy to brass check that way. Feels way better than the typical rear protruding charging handle. Watching the videos confirms that the charging handle doesn't attempt to reciprocate with the bolt, if it did move at all, i couldn't tell while using it.

so easy, a child can do it
20200808_160405.jpg
although he agrees it is heavier and harder to control than his savage​

Provience
Actually Wheels

Post by Provience »

​Success!

[video=youtube;NlZB_ob2IX0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlZB_ob ... e=youtu.be[/video]

[video=youtube;YN1Wod4FVMQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN1Wod4FVMQ[/video]

[video=youtube;Q4crehRZVGs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4crehR ... e=youtu.be[/video]

and this last one is with the Mini-Mag 1235 FPS trying to run faster to see if it would still work. I was used to loading 10 rounds at a time, so it was a bit confusing when it didn't lock open earlier, hence the pause You can also get a better idea of how far this thing launches the casings. they were typically landing beyond the blanket in the bottom left of the screen. easily 10'+ from where i was standing

[video=youtube;BIlFGk47dDc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIlFGk4 ... e=youtu.be[/video]​

yes, it is as fun to shoot as i had hoped :)

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 141 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

Seems to chuck the brass pretty far, you can see them sailing past in some of those videos. :laughing:

How's accuracy?

Provience
Actually Wheels

Post by Provience »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:17 pm Seems to chuck the brass pretty far, you can see them sailing past in some of those videos. :laughing:

How's accuracy?
yeah it launches the brass, 10-12' seems pretty reasonable :laughing: the last video of firing faster was inspired because my wife commented on how it makes just a big rainbow of brass :rasta:

accuracy exists :laughing: took a bunch of playing around to get the dot thing on target, i'll be trying it out on some longer range stuff in a couple of weeks to see what i can actually hit with it.

overall, it is way more fun to just kind of let it go. setup a row of cans in a bunch of places and go hunting them