.22LR AR-15 based blem cheapass pistol

Talk about almost anything you want
Provience
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 2 times

.22LR AR-15 based blem cheapass pistol

Post by Provience »

I have been collecting parts for this for about 6 months and wanting to do it for a couple years, nearly complete so i figured i'd post it up and add some chit-chat content. not sure what the rules are in Canada, but here in Washington every semi-auto is now an assault rifle including .22LR! So screw the man, this is Not an assault rifle.

it's an assault pistol :lmao:

Specs:
https://www.righttobear.com/ blem 80% lower I hogged out to fit
RTB dedicated 22LR bolt/carrier and dedicated 9" barrel
RTB 25 round magazines
I don't remember where i got the lower spring part, but it was any of the ~$30 ones
free 3 piece 'mil-spec' trigger from a buddy
Aero Precision Slick Side upper, no dust cover
plastic buffer tube that was free with purchase of something else
Discount bin 7" handguard, no holes.

today i scored this smooth handguard for $35 because it was blue and i'm pretty stoked about it. being smooth, it gives me the option to make it not a muffler to go with my not an assault rifle
IMG_3083.JPG
barrel fits with the alignment pin into the upper, of note is that the 22lr barrel doesn't have a hole for a gas tube and use a 1:16 twist and has a proper lockup as opposed to the conversion stuff to use .223 barrels
IMG_3084.JPG
installed, hand tight, it will get good enough tightened down later, probably.
IMG_3085.JPG
self contained blowback bolt group, nice Stainless Steel unit
IMG_3086.JPG
other side, there it is all the way back
IMG_3087.JPG
Up is difficult, down is dangerous

Provience
Actually Wheels

Re: .22LR AR-15 based blem cheapass pistol

Post by Provience »

Bolt Carrier Group in the upper, you can see how the barrel comes back in to provide proper lockup
IMG_3088.JPG
1-3/4" of travel, this will be important later as i'm going to mill a slot into the side of the upper so that i can make this have a left hand side charging handle similar to a STEN where, hopefully, the handle will stay there when it is all together, and when you pop the top from the bottom, you can back up the BCG enough to remove the charging handle before sliding everything out the back
IMG_3089.JPG
3 piece trigger vs a drop in trigger

[potential hazard items have been destroyed and removed]

3 piece installed, nice thing about the 3 piece trigger for a home made receiver is that they allow for a ton of error in the tolerance, they are very accommodating. Drop in triggers need enough material removed for the whole box, better to remove more material whenever possible

cheap plastic grip holds the spring and detent for the safety selector lever. this high quality blem lower will need to have this hole drilled a touch deeper as it lets the lever wiggle more than it needs to.
IMG_3093.JPG
Last edited by Provience on Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Provience
Actually Wheels

Post by Provience »

3/16" hex key to install the bolt to hold the grip in place
IMG_3094.JPG
1/8" roll pin punch helps to install all the little doo-dads that hold things like the trigger guard in place
IMG_3095.JPG
bolt release is probably the most difficult thing to get in there. i ended up using my feet to hold the receiver, one hand to hold the roll pin, one hand to hold the punch and another two hands to gently use the hammer to it all lined up and set. a vise or a child or a spouse helps :cheers:
IMG_3096.JPG
the detent and spring for the rear takedown are typically held in by a plate and nut that secure the buffer tube. because this is all self contained, i don't want the buffer tube so i'm still thinking of what kind of contraption will go here. might just use a tap and screw to holt the spring
IMG_3097.JPG
but i would like some sort of cover for the rear as well
IMG_3098.JPG

Provience
Actually Wheels

Post by Provience »

and top on bottom. once the rear plate and charging handle are sorted plus some sort of super cheap and lightweight thing to aim with, it will be all ready to go put holes in paper.
IMG_3099.JPG

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 140 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

All ARs here are pretty much banned assault rifles now, so there's really not much in the way of people who build them from my experience. It's a waste of time since there's no 80% lower workaround or anything like that either.

Seems funny to see an AR without a buffer tube though. I always thought AR pistols were stupid because they normally have a buffer tube that's as long as buttstock anyways.

I should probably get back into f'ing with guns. Too many hobbies and not enough time though.

Provience
Actually Wheels

Post by Provience »

yeah "one of these days" i want to make a lower out of laminated plate or wood or something odd just for kicks. can you not even get parts and such for them up there? I know that terrible excuse for a...whatever it is...strange second generation ruler of sorts...used his bullshit emergency power to fuck off the imports and such.

the only reason that i can come up with for the buffer tubes on the pistol caliber AR's is just to have the look or stability from bracing it. kind of a lame workaround for the even more lame short barrel rifle laws. i'm hopefully going to be doing some porting on the barrel to get the velocity down and hopefully use some high temp fiberglass to control the heat so i don't need people thinking i'm trying to get around the SBR law and the also dumb muffler law.

velocity and heat control, that is it :smokin:

If i can get the side charging thing to work out half as good as i want it to, i've got a buddy who is interested in getting one done up for him so it is a good thing to play around with.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

I'm not sure what the status is on AR parts, technically they should all still be legal except for the receiver, but I'm not sure if that's the case for sure now. Before you could buy most parts here, there's just a limit on the value for import of certain parts without major hassle (ITAR thing) so certainly some things didn't really show up in Canada, and all ARs were restricted so there wasn't really any way to build one from scratch without going through a bunch of BS (you'd have to send it in to be evaluated and then registered). I'm sure guys were swapping barrels and all that other stuff, but definitely not the same following since being restricted meant they kinda sucked to own anyways (only legally could shoot them at a range basically).

I had various other semi-autos for that reason, no point owning something with that many stupid rules. I'm down to only a couple commie guns and 22s for semis now though. :laughing:

Provience
Actually Wheels

Post by Provience »

i put off owning an AR for years because of the bullshit associated with them and then once they were legal again thanks to Bush-the-younger allowing shit to expire (the laziest way to take a stand :shaking; ) there was a whole new swell of retardation that came out from the owners :laughing:

now that we are post boom with them, i can mess around without getting lumped in to any stupid nonsense and they are kind of silly fun for how easy they go together and all the options.

you guys are allowed to make homebuilt weapons up there for personal use if they aren't semi-auto or whatever, right? Not in the sense of 'we can all do whatever as free men' but in the 'if you the neighbor calls in a complaint for moose abuse the mounty won't arrest you for weapons charges as well' sense

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

As far as homemade stuff, if it's bolt/break/pump/lever action I believe you're totally good to go without sending it for evaluation providing you observe the overall length rules and a few other BS things. Also you'd definitely have to not run afoul of the new completely ambiguous rules about caliber and muzzle energy. I believe making a semi-auto is totally fair game too, you're just going to have to send it for evaluation, and that might not go very well, and obviously if it looks anything like an existing restricted firearm it will be classified as restricted as a best case scenario. That said, I'm not an expert, but I know it's done though.

The tacticool retard scene here is always either idiots with 10-22s or SKS. Well, almost always. Cheap shit you can easily buy cheap shit doodads for.

Provience
Actually Wheels

Post by Provience »

https://www.loc.gov/law/help/firearms-c ... canada.php

i thought this part was interesting
Impact
Numerous studies have been conducted to assess the impact of Canada’s firearms legislation on firearms-related deaths. Studies have attempted to evaluate three different periods of reform, which involved Bill C-51 in 1977, Bill C-17 in 1991, and Bill C-68 in 1995.

According to a 1988 study, “the use of firearms in Canadian homicides has declined since the legislative changes in gun control and capital punishment in late 1976.” However, the study found that the changes in the law had no impact on total standardized national homicide rates.[61] A 1994 report concurred that “[d]ata from Canada from 1969 to 1985 showed that the passage of a stricter firearms control law in 1977 was associated with a decrease in the use of firearms for homicide but an increase in the use of all other methods for homicide.”[62] Another study on the impact of gun control legislation (Bill C-51) in Canada “suggests that controlling access to lethal means for suicide may be an effective tactic.”[63]

However, according to a paper by Professor Robert Mundt,

[t]he evidence suggests that the 1977 legislation has had little perceptible impact in any of the aforementioned
areas [violent crime, suicides, and accidental deaths]. One possible reason, apart from the possible conclusion
that gun control has no direct effect on behaviour, is that, despite the legislation, the actual availability of
firearms in the hands of Canadians has risen.[64]

A 2004 study looking at the impact of the Firearms Act on suicide found that “[a] decrease in firearm suicides was most noticeable in the under-25 age group, although it was in this same age group that the general suicide rate increased the most. The reduction of firearm suicides was not accompanied by a decrease in overall suicide rates.”[65] Another study found that “[t]here is no discernable impact on public safety by the firearm program”[66] instituted by the Firearms Act.

A 1998 study commissioned by the Department of Justice, which reviewed most literature available at that time, found that the impact of firearms regulations remained “somewhat inconclusive and controversial, partly because the studies have attempted to isolate the impact of the 1977 legislation, and because of the theoretical and methodological challenges, and issues of data quality and availability, inherent in this type of evaluative research.”[67]

A 2004 study found “a significant decrease after passage of Bill C-17 [in 1991] in the rates of suicides and homicides involving firearms and the percentage of suicides using firearms.”[68] However, more recent studies appear to present a mixed picture. A 2012 study concluded that the data “failed to demonstrate a beneficial association between [firearms] legislation and firearm homicide rates between 1974 and 2008.”[69] Some criticize this study since it did not take into account suicide deaths, which account for three-quarters of gun deaths.[70]

According to 2010 data available at Statistics Canada, over the past thirty years firearm-related homicides have continued to decline.[71] Moreover, “[m]uch of the decline in firearm-related homicide since the early 1980’s can be attributed to a decrease in homicides involving a rifle or shotgun.”[72] According to 2011 data,

[t]here were 158 homicides committed with a firearm in 2011, 13 fewer than the previous year. The 2011 rate of
0.46 firearm homicides per 100,000 population was the lowest in almost 50 years. The recent decline in the rate
of firearm homicides is mainly due to a drop in the rate of homicides committed with a handgun, which has fallen
nearly 30% over the past four years. However, handguns still accounted for about two-thirds of all firearms used
to commit homicide in 2011.[73]
yeah long quote and such and all, but it is sort of comical that Canadian studies on the topic of firearms match the stuff that USA studies have found. i.e. firearms regulations does fuckall for overall public health and safety, in every concern.

yeah yeah, we all know that to be true because we have all experienced it, but even the damned experts and scientists that study the stuff and get paid for it can't make the case that it is a worthwhile endeavor :lmao: yet try to convince a politician or city person of the same...:shaking: but oh, we need to trust the scientist on COVID and Climate Change :rasta: (those scientists are also not strongly in agreement fwiw)

Provience
Actually Wheels

Post by Provience »

reddit is useful for once :smokin:

https://www.reddit.com/r/canadaguns/com ... emachined/

email Q and A from RCMP, yes it is from 6 years ago, but the concepts still stand as the classification is all that has really changed so far
- Is it legal for one to build an aluminum receiver for the non-restricted Armalite AR-180B rifle for personal use and no intent to sell?

If you have a Possession and Acquisition Licence for the type of firearm that you manufacture, then yes it is legal to manufacture one. However, only a licensed firearms business may legally manufacture a prohibited firearm (Cf. Firearms Licences Regulations, s.22).
For the serial number requirements, please see section 14 of the Firearms Act, as well as section 1.1 of the Firearms Registration Certificates Regulations. However, you may wish to put some identifier on the lower receiver that would assist police to identify it if you were ever required to report it as lost or stolen.

- Would having a Possession and Acquisition Licence for non-restricted and restricted firearms be the only documentation/licensing required to legally manufacture a non-restricted firearm?

Yes; in Canada, as noted above, you are required to have a firearms Possession and Acquisition Licence for the class of firearm that you would be manufacturing. Depending on the exact nature of the firearm you build, the classification may be non-restricted, restricted or prohibited. Be mindful of the potential for your version of the rifle to accept short barrels, mount pistol grips, accept full automatic components from related firearms, as well as share design similarity with firearms named in the Criminal Code Regulations (such as the AR-180 rifle and the AR-15 rifle).

The process of manufacture must not result in any prohibited components (such as overcapacity magazines, short barrels or flash hiders that serve as sound suppressors) being created, even if temporary in nature. If you intend to import components there may be further requirements under the Export-Import Permits Act.

A valid registration certificate is also required for each restricted firearm. An Authorization to Transport may be required if the manufacturing process involves moving the firearm between sites.

If the characteristics of your rifle make it a prohibited firearm (even temporarily during the manufacturing process), there are no circumstances where it would be possible to obtain a licence and/or registration certificate for an individual to possess it.

- If the lower receiver manufactured is built to fit an existing non-restricted firearm, would it have to be inspected and given an FRT number?

Yes, a new FRT number would be issued. If you were to assign a make and model, the FRT record would be created accordingly, otherwise it would go into the “home made” category. It would be incumbent on you to supply the necessary technical information to create the FRT record.

-For what reason would one have to obtain a firearms manufacturing licence?

For any of the prescribed purposes in section 22 of the Firearms Licences Regulations, a business is required to have a firearms business licence issued by the Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) of the province of residence with the CFO's authority to pursue the particular activity. Provincial laws may also apply and in addition, we strongly suggest speaking with a representative in the CFO for your province of residence. The CFO staff can advise you about any other regulations that may apply. Contact information for the CFOs is listed on the RCMP CFP website at http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/cfo- ... ex-eng.htm or by phoning the CFP toll-free information line at 1-800-731-4000 your call can be redirected.

The purpose of this mailbox is to provide general information on the administration of the Firearms Act. We cannot offer legal opinions or provide legal advice to individuals or businesses. Should you require an opinion on legal issue, please contact a lawyer

Provience
Actually Wheels

Post by Provience »

whoa, that's kind of neat. i just put a link to the reddit thread and whambobambo it quoted it :laughing: leaving the double quote because i had to copy paste it, so if reddit fucks off the link, the information will still be around :rasta:

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 71 times
Been Liked: 60 times

Post by Scoobienorth »

When it comes to suicide and guns there Is very much is a link. Please do not minimize this. I am a trained crisis responder and do deal with suicide and those in crisis, any step you can take to place distance between those with thoughts of suicide and weapons increases their chance of survival. That means keeping them locked and unloaded is safer. I know gun owners are under pressure all the time and trying to justify safety of their guns and that they feel like they are trying to be taken away and all of that. Reality of it is if you or someone in your house is going through a really hard time or is giving off thoughts of suicide you should talk to them about it. If they are ,your guns should be locked up tight so they can’t get to them. If someone outside your house that you care about fits that same profile you should again talk to them and even try to hang onto their firearms until they are getting help and deescalated. You can say Or believe whatever you want But when someone completes suicide and if you feel partially responsible or that you could have done things differently and helped them it leaves a big impact on yourself and will haunt you. It isn’t a joke. If you have questions or know someone as risk and aren’t sure what to do message me.

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 71 times
Been Liked: 60 times

Post by Scoobienorth »

Sorry for the serious post. Now back to the regularly scheduled build up and chit chat

Provience
Actually Wheels

Post by Provience »

Scoobienorth wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:02 pm When it comes to suicide and guns there Is very much is a link. Please do not minimize this. I am a trained crisis responder and do deal with suicide and those in crisis, any step you can take to place distance between those with thoughts of suicide and weapons increases their chance of survival. That means keeping them locked and unloaded is safer. I know gun owners are under pressure all the time and trying to justify safety of their guns and that they feel like they are trying to be taken away and all of that. Reality of it is if you or someone in your house is going through a really hard time or is giving off thoughts of suicide you should talk to them about it. If they are ,your guns should be locked up tight so they can’t get to them. If someone outside your house that you care about fits that same profile you should again talk to them and even try to hang onto their firearms until they are getting help and deescalated. You can say Or believe whatever you want But when someone completes suicide and if you feel partially responsible or that you could have done things differently and helped them it leaves a big impact on yourself and will haunt you. It isn’t a joke. If you have questions or know someone as risk and aren’t sure what to do message me.
serious post is not a problem at all :)

I have personally stored firearms for people that i know when they've gone through tough times. Hell, had one where a buddys wife tried to take them to the sheriff and the sheriff wouldn't take them because they weren't "hers" :confused: uh, yeah, weird, right?

the point of those canadian studies is that, on the overall, there isn't a strong correlation between suicide in general (and violent crime against others) and firearms laws in those studies spanning 3 decades.

the regulations are absurd, and that is the part i take an issue with. the notion that they are sold as 'needed for public safety' that can never be proven to pan out is the issue and often creates problems. I know many people who REFUSE to seek professional mental health treatment or even conversations because they have seen it have an impact on the ability of others to own guns. I would rather have guns be available and people not need to live under threat for seeking mental health care. Hell, the money this country spends or donates to gun control causes is likely significantly greater than what it is willing to spend on mental health, much less mental health advertising and promotion :(