Pirate4x4 is dead

Talk about almost anything you want
Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 140 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Pirate4x4 is dead

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

Sorta a weird thing to announce on here... But it appears Pirate4x4 has finally completely jumped the shark and people are bailing left, right, and center.

The new replacement is www.irate4x4.com and it's set up fairly well, allows free image uploading, etc. They are running some advertising, and have the paying member system similar to what Pirate had for extra features and added smugness.

Not trying to steer people away from 4x4 North, after all that would be insane given how much personal time and expense I've put into this place, but with the sheer number of members that have moved from Pirate to Irate I think it needs to be known that the knowledge base that was Pirate likely will not be available at Pirate anymore. Basically if you pop into Pirate to ask some sort of crazy tech question, don't be surprised if nobody is answering.

So check it out if you want to be called names, told your fab sucks, and whatnot else.

Helidump
Forum Addict
Been Liked: 1 time

Re: Pirate4x4 is dead

Post by Helidump »

you could always start a “Light me up” thread for people to be abused on so they feel like they are on pirate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

You could just update your build thread and we could start with the name calling in there. :poke:

:lmao:

Helidump
Forum Addict

Post by Helidump »

hold my beer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Provience
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Provience »

I like your board here, i'm glad you offered it up and I need to get back to working on my junk so that i can feel like i can contribute.

my only real gripe about irate is the picture limit. I'm not sure if you have one here, but i ran in to the 25mb storage limit pretty damn quickly just copying over a few threads trying to help build the board. After a small gripe, the limit got upped to 50 mb....and unlimited is stuck behind the $20/year paywall.

50mb is probably plenty for the vast majority of people, it was just a bummer that there is a limit at all. fuck, the BEST thing that VS did with the pirate update was to remove the paywall for images. of course, then they decided to say "fuck off with a rusty spike" in their feedback thread :shaking:

anyways, if you get shirts or stickers or some shit like that going for 4x4north, let me know. i'll gladly buy some to help out the cause.

i'm over there for chit-chat and a little bit of tech but hell, i like this board better for tech anyways :lmao: I wasn't bullshitting a while back when i said (on that other board) that it really only takes a handful of active users to have a good tech board. it takes thousands for a decent chit-chat board, but whateves.
Up is difficult, down is dangerous

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

I've totally meant to do stickers and other swag, but I keep forgetting to try to vectorize the images I have when I have time.

There isn't any sort of a total upload cap here. But I will run into problems with how the backup system works eventually. I'll deal with that when the time comes. :rasta:

Provience
Actually Wheels

Post by Provience »

storage is cheap :laughing: that's the only reason it bothers me, well that and there was no notice of a limit. it wasn't advertised that a 'benefit' of being a paying member was unlimited storage, i honestly don't think he thought about it when he set the board up.

i just hate the virtue signaling "feel" that i get from the premium membership stuff. stickers and swag just seems like an easier thing to support the club or site or whatever.

It takes some work because a shit run swag shop is a drag and does damage, pirate4x4 as a famously bad example, but a well run online shop should be able to pay for this hosting stuff easily, see every youtuber 'buy my shit' video or DC Shoes or any other brand that just makes clothes. If i were smarter, i'd help out with that however i could as i'll need to know how to do it once i start my own retirement ranch :laughing: easier to sponsor events if you can buy a banner and sell tshirts.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Storage is cheap. However one of my gripes with the host I went with is they don't have the same rules for backups. The plan the site is on has unlimited storage. It's not as fast as it could be, but it's unlimited. However, the automated backup system is only good for a couple gigabytes. Yup, that's right, as much storage as you want, but you can't make an automatic backup of it unless you pay even more. :rolleyes: Obviously this is a cashgrab on their end, and there's so much fine print on the plans that you really would never notice any of these weird BS things on your first time around. They also make it so you can't restore from a manual backup without a serious amount of fuckery, again, they're being douches. I did manage to create workarounds for a bunch of the other bullshit they push on the lower/mid level accounts, but there is limits to how tech savvy I am.

I'm hoping they change some of their policies to be less douchy, but like I said I will deal with it when the time comes.

Provience
Actually Wheels

Post by Provience »

that's just odd :laughing:

the economy of the internet is a very strange place. massive huge mega corps on the top, absolute bagillions of $0 tiny tiny websites overall. it kind of reminds me of banking :laughing:

plym49.2
Forum Newbie

Post by plym49.2 »

Pirate bit the big one. They still seem kings of SEO, though. Goggle a 4x4 topic and they pop up as the first results.

Hoping to contrribute some modest tech here. Non longer in the North though (VT to TX). But so what.
Always tip.

Muckin_Slusher
Forum Newbie

Post by Muckin_Slusher »

Yeah, get on it (swag).

If you do ball caps I would like brown. I had a waxed canvas hat once and loved it. Brown and darker green for clothing articles.

and I'm in for stickers whenever they're for sale.

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 40 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Post by pointsnorth »

Pirate for me had been dead for a longtime. the last good Suzuki builds where 2004-05ish after that it was tube buggys with a samurai hood. stuck around for the Rango build in the jeep section. After that I switched over to Ih8mud for the landcruiser tech as again the landcruiser section was full of buggys and any actual tech questions posted and you were directed over to Ih8mud. then Ih8mud went down and after that I just stuck to the local forums as at one time there was like six in bc alone.

I like the setup here its simple and straight forward. you want to look at what people are building go to the build section. having a designated section for every little thing guarantees that more than half of that wont be viewed by the average person. thats probably why fb and instagram are so successful. people just have to scroll

HillBilt
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 13 times
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by HillBilt »

The photo bucket debacle drew the line for me as I get all my tech from youtube :flipoff: I actually went on Bleepinjeep for some tech yesterday, you can DeFriend me if you like... :whistle:
Building Junk-Wheeling Junk-Breaking Junk

Provience
Actually Wheels

Post by Provience »

:laughing:

Muckin_Slusher
Forum Newbie