Opinions wanted

Talk about almost anything you want
Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 67 times
Been Liked: 60 times

Opinions wanted

Post by Scoobienorth »

Well long story short, I cashed out, sold my house in the bubble and I’m moving back north to Hudson’s Hope. I’ve got cash left after the deal and am prioritizing a new (er) truck. My pos Jeep minivans I’ve had enough of daily driving. Now trying to find new trucks at anything close to reasonable price and time frame is tough. My goal of what I want to do is more of an overland build, be able to daily drive, camp, explore and mild wheeling mostly to access back country sights. Here’s the short list of what I can find and afford,

1: new Tacoma trd offroad, it’s capable, reliable and holds its value but is pretty small for the 3 of us camping and traveling but it is doable. Also cheapest option and 60-90 days I can have exactly what I ordered

2: 2021 chev trail boss custom 6.2L. It has big power decent fuel economy, also has locker out back and a bench seat up front which my daughter is pretty stoked about, as well as it plain being bigger and her knowing it’ll be lifted with bigger tires. I’m not a huge chevy fan and skeptical on long term reliability though, as the 10-20’s had issues but the 21’s seem better. It’s a couple grand more than taco but not much. To get one I’d have to order soon and possibly wait until august to see if I can even get it built, both the 6.2L and the trail boss package are constrained.

Ford, Ram and Jeep are only selling loaded up trucks making base offroad models near impossible to get at this time. The cheapest gladiator I could realistically get it’s 20+ grand more than the Chevy and toyota, so they can get bent.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 139 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Re: Opinions wanted

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

Gladiators are 'tarded overpriced.

I'd get the Chebby.

Johnny5
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 13 times
Been Liked: 6 times

Post by Johnny5 »

I know im a ford guy so take it with a grain of salt :stirpot: but if your loading up a truck and taking it out to nowhere the last thing you wanna drive out there is a chevy. Ever see a chevy service truck out on a bush road thats older than 5 years and isnt on its 3rd front end? :poke:
Id go for the toyota but thats my experience, was a chevy guy my whole life cause dad was, but once i got pissed off at grenading three chevs in a row i vowed to separate from family traditions hahaha
Also cant speak about new toyotas tho, not to sound like a boomer but dunno if they still make em like they used to

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

Johnny5 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:46 pm I know im a ford guy so take it with a grain of salt :stirpot: but if your loading up a truck and taking it out to nowhere the last thing you wanna drive out there is a chevy. Ever see a chevy service truck out on a bush road thats older than 5 years and isnt on its 3rd front end? :poke:
Id go for the toyota but thats my experience, was a chevy guy my whole life cause dad was, but once i got pissed off at grenading three chevs in a row i vowed to separate from family traditions hahaha
Also cant speak about new toyotas tho, not to sound like a boomer but dunno if they still make em like they used to

I’m a Ford and Jeep guy, so the Chevy pains me a bit. Ford is gouging really bad and I’m not biting. That being said the 2016 2500 Chevy I had my last stint in the oilfield although eating $8000 in repairs in the first 75,000 Km’s of life wasn’t exactly a bad truck. I beat it pretty hard and held up more than I’d need personally. Tough decision, my 08 tundra wasn’t exactly a good truck either, I’d rate it behind my superduty and the 2500 gm as a work truck for issues .

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

I’m going to wait a couple months and see if inventory catches up. Definitely think a half ton is what I’m after though. I live jeeps but think it and the taco are a bit small after doing my first of 3 trips north in the gf cuv. I think long distance comfort takes priority.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

I think it's the right call to wait. Supply and prices are stupid still.

HillBilt
Actually Wheels
Been Liked: 17 times

Post by HillBilt »

I’d look for a used Ram Power Wagon in decent shape. Has Solid front axle, lockers, sway bar disco and winch factory, put some decent rubber on it and should be capable of what youre looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Building Junk-Wheeling Junk-Breaking Junk

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

HillBilt wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:23 am I’d look for a used Ram Power Wagon in decent shape. Has Solid front axle, lockers, sway bar disco and winch factory, put some decent rubber on it and should be capable of what youre looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I originally wrote the 3/4 ton trucks off because they are hard on gas, but I did like my superduty a lot and the longevity may make them worth while.

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

As bad as they are priced, I think I’m going to try and order a gladiator. Actually got to drive one with the whole family and really liked it. Can’t order yet, then I’ll have to wait 3-4 months from when the 2022’ s opens. Really nothing else impressed me and it’s all dumb amounts of money

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

I like them but just don't do the price... Do the dealers have any comments on if pricing is going up for 2022?

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:35 pm I like them but just don't do the price... Do the dealers have any comments on if pricing is going up for 2022?
No comments on price or anything yet. I hope it doesn’t go up a bunch. It’ll probably creep up some I expect.

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

Well Jeep put my order to a status of it might get built eventually. Dump a few of the options I really wanted might get it in 3-6 months. Kinda choked. Found a new 2021 tundra crew max that’s a month out setup how id order one and it’s 7 grand cheaper than Jeep

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Well, thay seems kinda ghey.

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

Got my deposit back from Jeep and placed one on a tundra crew max, cement gray that is in transit and should have by the end of next month

Johnny5
Actually Wheels
Been Liked: 6 times

Post by Johnny5 »

A Toyota for 7 grand less sounds like a better deal anyway