Cheap action cameras?

Talk about almost anything you want
Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 139 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Cheap action cameras?

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

Has anyone bought a cheap action camera (GoPro knockoff) and had it not suck?

Some guys wanted me to get some videos of Baldy so they could get an idea if they would be able to do it. I had a cheap action camera from 2017~, but it sucked, so I popped on Amazon and ordered a new one. I figured 5 years would be a good enough timeframe for the basic ones to have improved. I didn't even get the cheapest one, I spent a whole $89 (it's was $99 with a coupon for $10 off). It turned out to literally be the exact same absolute trash camera rebranded and relisted. Absolute shit quality.

Example video (I uploaded it only so there would be an example of how bad it was):

Link to the camera so you don't buy it:

Anyway, it looks like it's a common "scam" that they rebrand these shit cameras, make a new Amazon listing, buy a bunch of 5 star reviews, then sell them to the unsuspecting. So I'm wary about just buying another cheap one that's got good reviews, even if I can just send it back.

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 67 times
Been Liked: 60 times

Re: Cheap action cameras?

Post by Scoobienorth »

Interesting you brought this up. I was part of this scam of fake Amazon ratings. They get your name and address from buying stuff I guess. Then they send you a product to your name and address , they pay for it and leave a rating from you. I got a set of handle bars for a suzuki dirt bike, 7/8 bars the smaller ones off a 110. I got them for free. I called it in so I got to keep the bars but they pulled any info from the transaction

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 139 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Re: Cheap action cameras?

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

There's a bunch of ways they do it. One common trick is to include a $10 gift card/discount if you give them a 5 star rating on the product and write a review mentioning certain things. Lots of people buy things and never really use the products they buy, or give them away as gifts, or they'll even write the review and get the $10 and then return the product because it sucks.

Amazon is brutal for it. I normally read the 1 and 2 star reviews and try to filter out what is people not understanding the product/unrealistic expectations from the people who are spitting the cold hard truth and are not happy about it. :lmao: