ORI STRUTS QUESTION

Chassis, suspension, tires, etc
Junkjunk
Forum Newbie

ORI STRUTS QUESTION

Post by Junkjunk »

Contemplating putting a set of ORI struts on the front of my yj. My question is.. are they good in the fast stuff or more of a crawler thing. I'm running 1 tons and 42s. Is that too much unsprung weight for a ORI.. are they fairly stable. If I get a lil airborne.. will a ORI live? What's your guys experience with these things? Cheers

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Snowracer
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 85 times

Re: ORI STRUTS QUESTION

Post by Snowracer »

have not run a set up have talked to few people running them and so on. they are great for crawling and ok for faster stuff but will heat up if run longer periods ect. the main down fall ive heard is they suck for street driven rigs as they do not react as fast as a coil over so are very harsh on the street.

if you are looking at getting a set talk to Sam at Sasquatch Offroad in Quesnel as he can get them

SasquatchCdn
Web Wheeler
Been Liked: 12 times

Post by SasquatchCdn »

Im running a set on my Toyota and street driving it and have no complaints so far. I'm 4200 lbs ish.

Some of the issues with heating up have been resolved, and if you spring for the resivior ORI's they are even better.

Still not quite as good as a well tuned coilover, bypass shock, sway bar, bump stop combo thats set up to go really fast.
But as far as I'm concerned they are the best solution for 90% of rigs out there.

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

SasquatchCdn
Web Wheeler

Post by SasquatchCdn »

Quite a few rock bouncers and mega truck style rigs are running them now with good results.
Watch some videos of the Outlaw rock bouncer, he flogs on it HARD and is way heavier than a Jeep on tons for sure.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 144 times
Been Liked: 49 times

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

Interesting that people are starting to warm up to these. They seemed to take a lot of slagging when they first became popular.

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 40 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Post by pointsnorth »

I think it was from people that had no idea what they were doing installing them improperly. I recall a pirate samurai build was the first time I had ever seen ori struts he had like 16 inch ones with like ten inches of shaft showing at ride height with not even close to correct suspension geometry. Then it turned into a huge bitch fest about the crappy ori struts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SasquatchCdn
Web Wheeler

Post by SasquatchCdn »

Yeah the pirate 4x4 crowd back then was pretty ruthless, lol.
ORI's have come a long ways and fixed a lot of the issues now though.

As far as worrying about wrecking them by driving hard or getting airborne I wouldn't be at all concerned about that.
The built in hydro bumpstops are wicked and they are set up perfectly for your last inch of suspension travel so no bumpstop tuning required.

The only thing that concerns me is losing nitrogen pressure or blowing a seal in the bush and then your fucked.
Whereas a coilover doesn't have that problem.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 144 times
Been Liked: 49 times

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

How common are seal failures?

SasquatchCdn
Web Wheeler

Post by SasquatchCdn »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote:How common are seal failures?
Pretty uncommon. But it's a potential failure point on an ORI or airshock that leaves you kinda stranded compared to a coilover.

I did tear the shraeder valve off one of mine on a branch this winter and lost pressure, had to drive 8 km or so home on the bumpstop.
It was actually a pretty smooth ride, but if I was 200 km out in the bush it would have been a shitty day... That's why it was on my mind, lol.

Junkjunk
Forum Newbie

Post by Junkjunk »

Awesome bit of info guys Im thinking these ORI are probably right up my ally with the info given. As I dont really intend on wailing through whoops for long periods most likely just back roads and the odd agreasive "bump" offroad. Looks like I'm buying rod ends now

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk